- From 1914 -1933, Girls Basketball was the most
popular and organized sport.
- The Lovers Club had full pages in the first two
Yearbooks. Their flower was the red rose, the club "yell" was a gentle
sigh, and Cupid was the General manager. It had more than 20 members
listed along with its officers and a lovely drawing of a young couple in
an embrace but nothing about its formation, goals, etc. It does seem a
bit risqué for 1915-1916. One is left wondering what happened to this
- The Class of 1929 was the first graduating class to
wear caps and gowns.
- The Senior Class President of '31 had to sell the
idea of a Junior-Senior Prom to the Board of Education.
- The class of 1932 standardized class rings and were
the first class to present letters to school athletics.
- Mr. H. C. Pittenger came to SAHS in 1918 and was
still teaching in 1964. He began the Chorus and the SAHS Orchestra.
- The National Honor Society began in 1933.
Cheerleaders are named for the first time in the 1935 Simmerings.
- Mr. Harold Leighty began the Band in 1935.
- The first Miss Red Dragon was Lillian Coalter Deaner.
- The first Majorette Corp to march with the band was